Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tanzanian termite mound = worst pickup line ever?

Yesterday on a crowded inbound C-line to downtown, I managed to procure a coveted seat. With no coffee yet, I promptly leaned my head against the wall and closed my eyes, attempting to doze.

It was a quiet train. Morning commutes are always like that. So when someone starts talking, the conversation sounds clear as day.

There was a 20-something girl next to me reading a book. A 20-something guy was standing in front of her -- being a packed train, he was holding onto the bar above her.

I'm still trying to doze when this guy suddenly starts talking to the girl.

"Is it true if you talk to more than one person on the train in the morning, you turn into a Tanzanian termite mound?"

"Uh. Not that I know of," the girl replied, and went back to reading her book.

The guy then walked away to take a seat across the way and all was quiet again. I had to double check myself to make sure I didn't just dream that bizarre moment, but I was definitely awake.

It was either one of the strangest pickup lines ever/failed attempt to start a conversation and make the girl laugh, or the guy was tripping on something at 8:30 in the morning.

No comments: